Apart from the Egyptology collection, there was local prehistoric material on display from 1908, when stone implements from Worsthorne Moor were donated. There were several other gifts of flint implements but much was of limited value as their origins were uncertain. Inventories as late as 1938 recorded all stone material together including fossils, worked flint, minerals and shells as fossils.
The display and interpretation of local prehistoric material improved in the 1950s. The Burnley Local History Society conducted in an excavation at Mosley Height Burial Circle in 1950 and the finds were presented to the Museum. In 1952, Isaac Magson of Littleborough, a brass founder by trade, bequeathe a carefully catalogued collection of over 1,000 flint implements found on the local moors over a period of more than 40 years.
The room that is now the Military Room was in 1931 the Antiquities Room and displayed part of the Egyptology collection. In 1975 it became the Prehistory Room, displaying local flint tools and prehistoric pottery. Since 2002 the have been occassional small displays of local prehistoric material but nothing to compare with
As of 2016 there has been no nothing added to the accession registers or the Modes database.