The Barcroft table was brought to Towneley by Charles Townley (1737-1805) when the Barcroft estate was purchased in 1795. It was made for the marriage of William Barcroft of Barcroft Hall and Susan, daughter of Nicholas Rishton of Astley in 1613. It has been used as a shuffle board and is marked for that purpose at one end.
In 1902, it was left in the Servants' Hall and became one of the first objects purchased for the museum. It was moved to the Family Dining Room in 1905 and then to its present location in the Great Hall in 1923.