The Cantilever staircase

cantilever staircase

The cantilever staircase runs up the second floor of the South Tower to the Long Gallery. The South Tower was built around 1620 but the cantilever staircase, thought to be by Robert Bakewell of Derbyshire, was added one hundred years later. (see An Introduction to the Architectural History of Towneley Hall )

Before Towneley was opened to the public in May 1903, a gate was added at the foot of the staircase and the balustrades and landings were strengthened. (see sub-committee minutes )


Author: tk - August 2016