The cellars below the South wing date back to the 15th century but were modified by Jeffry Wyatt around 1820 when the floor of the Regency Rooms was lowered. He also added the Servants' Passage, running below the front of the Great Hall towards the Kitchen. This route is taken by visitors on a guided tour. The two store rooms beneath the Great Hall are not open to visitors but the stairs down to the well in the north corner can be seen from the kitchen passage. For an architectural description of the cellars see Appendix A of "An Architectural History of Towneley Hall" by W. John and Kit Smith, published by Heritage Trust for the North West in 2004.