The collection contains over 200 items ranging from buttons and other military equipment with regimental insignia to war mementoes, many transferred from the East Lancashire Regiment headquarters in 1946.
In 1946, the Officer-in-Charge of Fulwood Barracks, Preston offered the contents of the Museum of the East Lancashire Regiment to Towneley. The East Lancashire Regiment Room was opened in 1948 after the purchase of new display cases specifically for the collection. These cases are now in the Military Room.
The material transfered from Fulwood Barracks included medals now part of the Military Medals collection and uniforms including tunics and headgear now part of the Textiles collection. The rest of the items were mainly cap badges, tunic buttons and other small objects with regimental insignia and these became the basis for the ELR collection. Captain F. B. Mitchell of Clitheroe gave around 40 items in 1953 and there were a similar number of gifts from other individuals up until 1976 when the collection was recorded on index cards and the objects added to the Accession Registers. Around 40 further objects were added between 1977 and 1986 but many of these have no connection to the East Lancashire Regiment.
As of 2016 nothing has been added to the Modes database.