The growth of the museum in the early years is recorded in minutes of the Sub-committee meetings published by the Town Council. There are also catalogues for Summer and Winter loan exhibitions, which also included displays of work by local artists and listings of the fledgling museum contents.
There are copies of the exhibition catalogues in the library including a bound copy of the catalogues from 1903 to 1920. There was no accession register before 1932 and the contents of early catalogues provided the best record of the museum contents before 1920. They were the source of later inventory listings, which accounts for the many catalogue entries in the library copies having individual lines being cut out. The notebook md19 , which attempted to list "Pictures etc. bought out of funds etc. and presented up to June 1st 1932" has many such pasted down cuttings.
By 1928, the annual exhibition was almost entirely made up of objects from the permanent collections but exhibition catalogues continued to be published each year up until 1939. Two more annual exhibition catalogues were published in 1948 and 1949 before a final undated catalogue was printed in 1952.