The little dining room on the first floor of the north wing along with the chapel is one of the rooms least changed from the time when it was owned by the Towneley Family. In the 19th century it was known simply as the dining room but in the 1950s it came to be known as the Family Dining Room when the Servants' Hall was called the Servants' Dining Room.
It was built in the time of Richard Towneley (1566-1628) and the year of his death is displayed over the display cupboard. The fireplace is of Caen stone and bears the arms of William Towneley (1714-1742) and Cecilia Standish, the heiress of Standish Hall, who married in 1736. The panelling is original but all the furniture was added by the museum and most items were purchased specifically for this room in 1931.