The cross at the top of Lime Avenue in Towneley Park has a long and complicated history. Parts of the cross were brought to Towneley from Burnley Parish Church by Charles Townley (1737-1805) around 1790. He called it "Burnley Cross" and from his diary we know that as early as 1803 it was placed close to the west corner of Towneley Hall.
In 1911 it was rebuilt in its present form and moved to the top of the Lime Avenue in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Burnley's charter of incorporation in 1861, when the town created its first town council.The cross is now grade ll listed and the English Heritage Building identity number is 467232.
By 2008 Burnley Borough Council decided that Foldys Cross needed to be cleaned and restored, and this was carried out through funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. In latin around the base is inscribed
Orate pro anima Johannes Foldys, cappellani qui istam crucem fieri fecit Anno Domini MCCCCCXX
This is translated on the plaque beneath as “Pray for the soul of John Foldys, chaplain, who caused this cross to be made in the year of our Lord 1520”