The Housekeeper's Room

The Housekeeper's Room, on the ground floor of the North wing, in recent years has been used for small displays such as local photography society exhibitions. In the 19th century it was known as the Housekeeper's sitting room and the room next door (now a store room) was known as the Housekeeper's store room or china closet. In 1924, a doorway was made through to the Servants' Hall and for the next 50 years all three rooms were used to display the natural history collections. During this period the room was known by the museum attendants as the Bird Room.


Author: tk - August 2016