New Wing

 new wing

The New Wing is the building on the north west side of Towneley Hall, fitting exactly in the footprint of a 19th century servants' wing that was was demolished in 1929. Opened in 2002 with the help of a grant from Heritage Lottery Fund, it contains the museum shop, toilets, lecture theatre, offices and library.

The grant also required improved access to the museum with a lift being installed up to the second floor of the north wing with another small lift for wheelchair access avoiding a flight of stairs from outside the Kitchen going up to the Great Hall.


Author: tk - August 2016