The North Tower was built along with the North Wing, Great Hall and South Tower around 1620 to 1628. The two towers carry staircases giving access to their adjoining wings, to the roof-space over the Great Hall and to some small service/storerooms. See The North Tower Staircase in Chapter Two of "An Architectural History of Towneley Hall" by W. John and Kit Smith, published by Heritage Trust for the North West in 2004.
Part of the ground floor of the North Tower is reserved for housekeeping storage. The Jacobean Staircase runs up to the Decorative Arts Room on the first floor. The room on the second floor, probably listed as the butler's bedroom in inventory of 1871, is now the Watercolour Store .
At the top of the tower is access to Roof Area over the Great Hall together with a store room called the Mummy Room where part of the Egyptology collection is stored.