The names North and South wings are entirely arbitrary but are in keeping with 18th and early 19th century plans. In early 20th century guide books they were called the South-East and North-West wings. A sundial was added to the buttress at the southern corner of the South wing in 2001.
The North wing was began around 1620 but has been extended many times. The chapel was added the north wing around 1712 and the width of the wing was doubled in size around 1737. The Victorian Tower was added to the North corner in 1851.