Maurice O'Hagan, 3rd Lord O'Hagan, inherited the Towneley heirlooms on the death of his mother, Lady O'Hagan in 1921. In 1925, he gave a book case (cabinet, formerly in the Drawing Room at Towneley), containing books describing St Mark's, Venice, two maps of Old Burnley and a portfolio of drawings of Towneley Hall ( doma0637 to 731 ). In 1926, he loaned four marble busts that remained at Towneley for over 80 years. In 1939, he donated two paintings to Towneley but most of his paintings were sold by auction. A number of these were purchased using money from the Massey Bequest, the main one being Charles Townley and friends in his library at Park Street, Westminster by Johann Zoffany.
In 1911, Maurice married Frances Constance Strachey. In 1938, his son, Thomas Anthony Edward Towneley-O'Hagan, changed his surname by Deed Poll to that of his mother, see Strachey Family