There were seven hiding places at Towneley early in the 18th century recorded by Ursula Fermor (1662-1748), wife of Charles Towneley (1658-1712). All but the largest of the hiding places disappeared with alterations over the years. This largest one is in the South Tower and she wrote of it
"At the steps going from the stone stairs to the garret a step may be taken out, where there is a large place over the Green Parlour".
In 1954, a panel of armour plated glass was inserted into the floor of the South Tower Bedroom in order that visitors could see down into this hiding place.