Regency Furniture

In 1979, a substantial purchase was made to furnish the Regency Rooms with three chairs from the Northumberland House suite made by Morel and Hughes in aburra wood in 1823 for the Duke of Northumberland. Morel and Hughes supplied furniture for Windsor Castle which was also remodelled by Jeffry Wyatt. In 1986, a Grecian Harp by Erard was purchased together with a music stand and harpist's chair to further enhance these rooms.

The much greater use of the rooms for cultural events, weddings and social functions in the 21st century has created some difficulties in the conservation and displaying this furniture.


Author: tk - August 2016