Richard Henry Towneley (1849-1877) was the only son of John Towneley (1806-1878), who inherited the Towneley estate in 1876 after the death of his brother Charles Towneley (1803-1876). Richard was the last male heir to the estate but died before his father. When his father died the estate was divided up between his daughters and the daughters of his brother, see the Towneley Estate Act .
Richard and his father made no changes to Towneley Hall in the short period after the death of Charles. There is a drawing of Richard and two photographs in the collection. Richard took a commission in the second Regiment of Life Guards in 1870 but relinquished it in September, 1875. His Life Guards helmet, shown in this photograph, together with other parts of his uniform are now part of the museum's arms and armour collection.