Richard Towneley (1566-1628), eldest son of John and Mary Towneley, can be seen in their family painting of 1601, kneeling to the left of his father.
He was responsible for building a large part of the North wing in the 1620s. The date of his death is seen above the display cupboard in the Family Dining Room.
The coat of arms with 18 quarterings, displayed over the main entrance in th Great Hall, was granted to Richard in 1613. He married Jane Ashton in 1594 and their joint coat of arms is carved on a door in the Chapel.