The Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington, London, was a great help to Towneley at the start of the 20th century. Until 1977, the V&A had a department, the Circulation Department, touring shows of art and design to regional museums and schools of art around the UK. Each year until 1939 the V&A lent up to four cases of decorative art exhibits to Towneley as can be seen from Towneley's exhibition catalogues.
In 1904, the V&A gave advice on furnishing the chapel and dining room. They loaned furniture in 1923, which was so admired by visitors that the sub-committee decided to start a collection of furniture to display in the Long Gallery. Some of the loans are still at Towneley including an electrotype copy of 15th century suit of armour on display in the Long Gallery Bedroom 5.